Skip to main content

Lessons From the Boy Who Changed My World


I am feeling a lot of love in my heart tonight and I feel like this is the best time to talk about the relationship that motivated me and taught me the best things about life and got me to step out of my comfort zone in the best way possible. I wish I could disclose his name because the amount of gratitude that I have in my heart for him is unmatched because of the way he treated me and the things he taught me.

I want to start by reminiscing about the early times of our relationship. We were quite an odd couple in the eyes of basically everyone, as we ran in two completely different circles and we honestly probably wouldn’t have met each other if it wasn’t for the fact that I was hiding from a creepy guy at the fair! I don’t know what it was about him that made my heart smile and made me appreciate every aspect of life all day, every day. He made me the best version of myself.

It was sooooo out of my social norm to date someone like him. I was 16, so I was at an extremely stubborn age and very obsessed with fitting in. I only listened to a very specific playlist that featured the latest Migos, 2 Chainz, and YG tracks. Everything I did was routine (especially because I was trying to stay out of trouble after my little criminal moment that I had – sorry mom). This is going to sound so cliché and stupid, but I he showed me a new way of life. A new way to look at it. He showed me all of this through things that seemed so simple until they weren’t.

Music was a huge part our relationship. Despite our cultural differences, he always wanted to share something that would be new to me (which is now why I have an obsession with Jack Johnson) and was never hesitant to listen to the music that guided my morning routines from the 90’s. This was how we expressed ourselves. I’ll never forget the nights sitting in his car and he would always turn the volume to 15 because it was the perfect volume. These are the nights that shaped me.

Although we were young, this is the version of a man that anyone after him would have to live up to. He showed me how I should be treated and for that I am forever thankful. He came to me at a very pivotal time in my teenage years and changed my life. He taught me about effective communication, but the most important thing he taught me was that I am capable of being loved – even at my lowest points. He taught me that it isn’t hard to be thoughtful. I mean he really came up with some of the best gift ideas, promposals, date nights, and even showing up to surprise me after I yelled at him on the phone for not telling me when he was coming home from what seemed like a yearlong backpacking excursion. I don’t know if I necessarily deserved all that he was giving me at this point in my life, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.


So - to you, if you are reading this, thank you for loving me. I am so glad you are settled in your life and you look happy as can be. Thank you for teaching me and helping me grow. Our breakup wasn’t the greatest situation in the world, but you changed me as a person. I probably couldn’t have survived that year without you by my side. Wishing you and your family all of the best!!


“Keep me where the light is.” – John Mayer

Comments

  1. Very thoughtful reflection about someone who encouraged you to explore life outside your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning & Growing With You

  I’ve tried to write this a million times because trying to decide how I want to express my feelings is really difficult on this one…   (This is not about an ex, btw)   I think I’m going to write this one mostly in letter format, so here we go.   To You,   I’m finding it more difficult than I thought to adjust to a love that is not abusive and draining. I have found it hard to accept a love that is not one-sided. Now, I know what a lot of people would say. “All of those things are not love…” But when you have only know that to be your idea of love in relationships that becomes the love that you believe in and that you know.    It’s so crazy that just a few short months ago, I finally believed that I was ready for the type of relationship and friendship that I deserved and then there you were, right there in my Bumble feed! Every day you are teaching me more and more about things that I never thought would be acceptable. You are teaching me that affection isn’t “overbearing.” You are t

My First Love

Over the past five years, I have experienced more confusion and turmoil than my 10-year-old self ever thought was possible for my future. When you’re ten, you imagine things for yourself that seem to be impossible. You have the entire world at your feet and time feels like it will never run out. I remember for the longest time I was certain that I would have my own Disney Channel show, if not, movie. I also thought that I would be a doctor, join the Peace Corps, and become a professional soccer player. These are some pretty outlandish careers for me to obtain, but I had huge dreams for myself. Next to those huge dreams, I had an overwhelming among of love and support that surrounded me. But this love and support came with conditions.              Being young and able to be exposed to all different kinds of activities was fun, until my father realized that I inherited an insane amount of athleticism and was playing at a level well above my age group. He started to meet people and m

Songs That Led My Lessons

Before I write all my blogs, there are a lot of things I have to do to get my mind right. The day I know that I am going to write, I feel all types of emotions. Sometimes I am really, REALLY happy that I got over everything I was feeling and got out of some pretty messed up situations. Sometimes I am EXTREMELY sad because in some of the relationships I feel like I didn’t get the closure I deserved or needed. But there is always one common emotion that I have before writing every blog and that is anxiety. This level of anxiousness often fluctuates depending on who I am writing about because I know that in writing about them, I am bringing up a lot of emotional baggage and being very vulnerable about it in the most positive way possible. To write my lessons and talk about different aspects of these relationships doesn’t come as easy as you may think. So, before I write, I take a couple of minutes and remember everything I possibly can about these people. From what I loved to what I