Skip to main content

Lessons From the Man Who Tried To Take Advantage of Me


A lot of truth is about to come out and there are only a handful of people who know the true story about this and what actually went down. I want to say that before I start, this is a “relationship” I avoid talking about and thinking about because it was so incredibly terrifying, damaging, and disgusting. I also want to put out the disclaimer that I am in no way looking for sympathy from this situation. This blog has been used as a medium to connect with men and women who have gone through similar experiences and to share my truth because that is what is therapeutic for me. This blog post will probably be one of my deeper ones and there may be some triggering content.
Around the time that I was going through my relationship/breakup with the boy who changed my world (blog post here: https://lessonsfrommyexes.blogspot.com/2019/03/i-am-feeling-lot-of-love-in-my-heart.html), I earned my first job through a family friend’s connections. This had me really excited that I was about to be making my own money and it just felt like my first chance at freedom. I met my new employer at a local bar for my interview because everything was very spur of the moment. I got the job on the spot and there was an instant feeling of trust and loyalty. My job required a lot of me and, now that I look back it, it was very unprofessional and disturbing. I didn’t really have set work hours, nor a way to clock in and out. I worked in an apartment that he claimed he worked from because he owned the entire complex and I was basically his assistant. I ran errands, typed up certain documents for his business, and went to business meetings with him.

Like I said before, I felt a sense of loyalty the second I met him. Throughout my first couple of days working for him, I explained to him my family situation and he expressed a lot of interest in that. Explaining my situation with my dad and how I felt about everything was enough for him to want to take on the “dad” role and take care of me. He wanted to help me pay for college, he paid me above minimum wage, and he even bought me a new phone when I broke mine. He was very fatherly and very protective, until he wasn’t. I made a mistake one day when I was out running errands for him and accidentally turned his car into a pole. There was no major damage that was done that I could see, but because of this mistake I worked longer hours, doing extra work that wouldn’t really be considered to be in my job description to pay off the damages.

Long story short, comments about my age and body were made, as well as I was brushed up against on “accident” while I was doing this extra work. Besides harassment, this man was also providing me with the option to take weed from him and trips to take with him and the company that was made up of no employees except myself. I ended up being “fired” from this job via text message because of a dispute with my mom. When this happened, I blamed her for everything. I was so upset and disappointed that because of her I know longer had a job, which felt like the only way I was going to be able to go to college without playing soccer and get out of Reno.

My mom is a very smart woman and she deals with predators like this and worse than him for a living. Although, she doesn’t know every detail of what went down, she knew enough to pull me out of an unsafe situation. After being fired I realized, deep down, that his intentions with me were not pure nor professional. For a long time, I did not want to admit what had happened or come to terms with it because I have never been in the presence of such evil and manipulation. I have only recently been able to tell the full extent of this story to someone that is very close to me. While telling this story, I realized that I knew the exact moment I figured out this man’s game.

A couple years after this incident, I felt like I had moved on from the situation and didn’t feel like I really had to cope with it because no physical damage was actually done. I was home from college on a break and out shopping with one of my best friend’s moms. We had gone into a store and something felt off about walking in there because the last time I had walked in there, I was with this man. I made sure to scan the parking lot for his car, but it was nowhere to be found, so everything felt okay. I walked in and all I remember is seeing this giant pair of calves that seemed so recognizable, but there was no way that this was who I thought it was.

Sure enough…

There he was. I tried to escape his line of vision to me, but I am pretty sure he recognized me by my hair and when I turned into the same aisle that he was in, he looked me dead in my eye and opened his mouth to speak. I grabbed the little girl I was with so quick and sprinted out of the store. I am pretty sure it looked like I was shoplifting or something, but I didn’t care. In that moment, every feeling from everything he ever said or did to me took over my being. I was so frozen. So numb.
With all of that being said, I learned a lot. I learned you can’t trust a lot of people, but someone in my life I can always trust is my mom. She may do things that I don’t agree with, but I was wrong to underestimate her intelligence in this situation. I also learned that people with money and status are very good at manipulating you into thinking you need them. Respecting yourself and the morals within you is the most important thing.

I didn’t know what a Sugar Daddy was at the time, but I am pretty sure that is what he was trying to be to me. Looking back, the whole experience was absolutely disgusting and damaging to who I was to become in later years. I have problems with trusting promises, being touched a certain way, and being in certain situations all because of what this man put me through. In this post I did not highlight certain details or the extremities of what was supposed to be a professional relationship, all because it is too personal.  If you have ever been or felt like you were in an unsafe and bad situation because of the way someone is treating you or behaving toward you, you owe it to your present and future self, along with your mental stability, to remove yourself from the situation. I learned that money and opportunity come around. I did not need him to achieve all that I have, but the experience did help me mature.

Comments

  1. Listen and trust your gut...and your mom. 😉 I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't want to tangle with Momma Bear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning & Growing With You

  I’ve tried to write this a million times because trying to decide how I want to express my feelings is really difficult on this one…   (This is not about an ex, btw)   I think I’m going to write this one mostly in letter format, so here we go.   To You,   I’m finding it more difficult than I thought to adjust to a love that is not abusive and draining. I have found it hard to accept a love that is not one-sided. Now, I know what a lot of people would say. “All of those things are not love…” But when you have only know that to be your idea of love in relationships that becomes the love that you believe in and that you know.    It’s so crazy that just a few short months ago, I finally believed that I was ready for the type of relationship and friendship that I deserved and then there you were, right there in my Bumble feed! Every day you are teaching me more and more about things that I never thought would be acceptable. You are teaching me that affection isn’t “overbearing.” You are t

To All My Past Entanglements...

I feel like I should just make this a damn surverymonkey instead of a blog because I have so many freaking questions. First of all, can someone just tell me what runs through the male species mind when they are entertaining females? Like I need the actual break down because what the fuck.   This is my thing… I’m completely in a place in my life where I am starting to fully take responsibility for my character flaws and understand where I fall short. With that being said, I am well aware that I do not need to get myself into any sort of “entanglement” (as Jada Pinket Smith would say… *rolls eyes*) because this time of learning and coming to terms with myself is very vulnerable, AND MEN PREY ON THE VULNERABLE… at least the ones I seem to attract. BUT Let’s talk about entanglements anyway because I really need to know your thoughts. I think it is so interesting that this term is a literal buzzword right now because it seems like everyone is in at least one entanglement. I don’t want to di

Songs That Led My Lessons

Before I write all my blogs, there are a lot of things I have to do to get my mind right. The day I know that I am going to write, I feel all types of emotions. Sometimes I am really, REALLY happy that I got over everything I was feeling and got out of some pretty messed up situations. Sometimes I am EXTREMELY sad because in some of the relationships I feel like I didn’t get the closure I deserved or needed. But there is always one common emotion that I have before writing every blog and that is anxiety. This level of anxiousness often fluctuates depending on who I am writing about because I know that in writing about them, I am bringing up a lot of emotional baggage and being very vulnerable about it in the most positive way possible. To write my lessons and talk about different aspects of these relationships doesn’t come as easy as you may think. So, before I write, I take a couple of minutes and remember everything I possibly can about these people. From what I loved to what I