Skip to main content

Lessons From the Boy with the Accent


Well alright… another day, another blog about ANOTHER boy!

Obviously if you have read my previous blog posts, I have been thrown into a lot situations when it comes to relationships and have learned a lot of different things. This one was no different. When I was on the up and outs with the homie from my last post, I met this guy.
Mind you, this is when I lived in Iowa. Iowa was SO. SMALL. And my campus was even smaller (if that’s even possible). I lived on a campus that only housed soccer players, so I was living, eating with, and constantly breathing the same air as the same 40 people for two years. It doesn’t sound that bad until you’re in it, and it really wasn’t that bad after I met him.
It was so stupid how it all started. Someone broke my laptop charger and of course I have the weirdest laptop on the whole entire planet, so no one had the same charger as me. When I was asking around, they all told me that they thought this boy had the same model laptop as me. Desperate me Snapchatted him in a panic asking if he had a charger and he told me he would bring it right over. After he brought it, I tested it out to see if it would work and, just my luck, it didn’t. He offered to help me go from dorm to dorm to find one, which shocked me. In my head I was like, “why would this man want to come with me????????” He had a reputation for being charming, but a PLAYER, so I tried not to read too much into it. Next thing I know we were in a boy’s dorm for 3 hours talking about the most random topics. It was so weird and when I said I had to go, he left with me. I was dreading going back to my room because me and my roommate at the time were having major issues, so he said I could go with him to his room until she fell asleep.
Now… I am not going to take this story where you guys think I am going to take it. We went to his room and I ranted for so long about my roommate and why she was being so infuriating, and he just listened and told me about his roommate situation in his accent that made me SWOON.
When I went back to my room that night, I felt so weird. I felt so connected to this person and I didn’t even know him! He was not someone I was interested in at first because he was so arrogant and self-involved, until he wasn’t. I fell for him hard that night.
After that, we were inseparable and talking about a future together was not something that was hard to talk about. Him not being from here (as you probably got from my “accent” remark) made talking about a future really complex, but very much doable. In that moment I could not picture myself without him. I came to a realization one night where I was just laying in bed and I thought to myself “how do I meet a person like him, in a place like this, and it’s not supposed to mean something? This has to mean something.”
This relationship was very short lived, as he went home for Christmas Break and never returned. I had no idea he wasn’t coming back until I got a text on the day we were supposed to all return to school that basically said:
Hi. You’re an amazing girl. I’m not coming back. Take care.
****Obviously, it was more heartfelt than that, but through the tears and panic attack I had on the plane- that’s all I could understand.
I loved him so much. I felt like I had to. It didn’t make sense for me not to, ya know? Everything felt like fate. He talked a good game.
I learned a lot from this one, but I think one thing I need to give him credit for is that he taught me patience. I grew up in a household where raising your voice to get a point across was very much practiced. He didn’t tolerate that. If an argument took place he would make sure to give me a little bit of space, sit me down in a private area and we would talk. We never went to bed mad at each other because, deep down, we knew we didn’t have time to.

Soooo… Wherever you are now, whatever you are doing. I hope business and sport is everything you ever hoped it would be. Separating myself from you was one of the hardest things I have done, but I am so thankful for the love and lessons you taught me. You are forever the boy who motivated me to move mountains and taught me that my loyalty, which I once thought was a flaw, is a gift and is unmatched.

“I will remember your face. ‘Cause I am still in love with that place. When the stars are the only things we share, will you be there?” – Atlas Hands by Benjamin Francis Leftwich.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning & Growing With You

  I’ve tried to write this a million times because trying to decide how I want to express my feelings is really difficult on this one…   (This is not about an ex, btw)   I think I’m going to write this one mostly in letter format, so here we go.   To You,   I’m finding it more difficult than I thought to adjust to a love that is not abusive and draining. I have found it hard to accept a love that is not one-sided. Now, I know what a lot of people would say. “All of those things are not love…” But when you have only know that to be your idea of love in relationships that becomes the love that you believe in and that you know.    It’s so crazy that just a few short months ago, I finally believed that I was ready for the type of relationship and friendship that I deserved and then there you were, right there in my Bumble feed! Every day you are teaching me more and more about things that I never thought would be acceptable. You are teaching me that affection isn’t “overbearing.” You are t

My First Love

Over the past five years, I have experienced more confusion and turmoil than my 10-year-old self ever thought was possible for my future. When you’re ten, you imagine things for yourself that seem to be impossible. You have the entire world at your feet and time feels like it will never run out. I remember for the longest time I was certain that I would have my own Disney Channel show, if not, movie. I also thought that I would be a doctor, join the Peace Corps, and become a professional soccer player. These are some pretty outlandish careers for me to obtain, but I had huge dreams for myself. Next to those huge dreams, I had an overwhelming among of love and support that surrounded me. But this love and support came with conditions.              Being young and able to be exposed to all different kinds of activities was fun, until my father realized that I inherited an insane amount of athleticism and was playing at a level well above my age group. He started to meet people and m

My First Boyfriend

Boy, oh boy…. This one is an interesting one to even think about because it's been so long. Let’s talk about my first boyfriend. To make a long story, short about how we met and fell in looOOooOve… this is all you need to know. I met this boy whilst in my freshman biology class in high school. He was that funny kid that made fun of/flirted/terrorized our teacher. It was enough to make me roll my eyes and become smitten with him all at the same time. We started to hang out before I would have to go to basketball practice and sometimes I would even be late to practice because I wanted to squeeze in a few extra minutes with him. After a couple of times of hanging out, we had our first kiss. Let me tell you….this was THE most disgusting encounter of my life. If you know anything about where I went to high school, we had a set of stairs that we would call “the big stairs.” Sooo a top the big stairs, we were just standing there, and the vibes were all right, like there were