Skip to main content

Lessons From My Best Friend


Yep. I fell in love with my best friend. *FAT EYE ROLL* Here's the story.

In high school, I can’t lie - social pressures got the best of me. I took on many different personas and had the imagination of a little kid. There was only one point when I felt like my true self, and that was in the company of my best group of friends. This group of friends consisted of 3 boys and 1 other girl. Sure, the ratio was off, but this friend group wasn’t like that. These were some of the truest friends I would ever know and loving them was so easy, but there was one friend in particular that I felt beyond connected to.

He was so special to me and still is. He was like a big brother, dad, role model and I don’t know how I landed a friend like him. In retrospect, I had the FATTEST crush on this kid coming into high school, so becoming his friend was just so confusing.  I could do some of the dumbest things on this planet and he would be right there to tell me how stupid it was, but he’d never walk away. Throughout our friendship we would always hear people say, “Ohhhhhhh you guys are going to end up together,” or “When’s the wedding??????????” This. Got. OLD. I never looked at him as anything more than a friend, and neither did he.

This brings me back to my point about social pressures. I heard those words enough to the point where my imagination started to run wild. What if we did end up together? What would it be like? Would it ruin our friendship? Is everybody right? I couldn’t help but think about all these questions, all the time, and then it began to consume me. I mean it made sense, right? I found him so attractive anyway. He has the best face and he's all into activism and philanthropy. He was perfect. It seemed far fetched for someone like me to end up with someone like him, but for a while, it was the only thing I thought about. The fantasy of ending up with your best friend seemed like the fairy tale I needed in my life. I mean, he was there through all the toughest stuff in my life and there wasn’t anything in this world I wouldn’t do for him. He had my heart, even when it wasn’t romantic.

There came a point when I couldn’t take feeling like this anymore and I had to act on it. I took a very long trip with our other best friend to surprise him and tell him how I felt. With a car ride full of our favorite songs to help ease the anticipation and nervous pains forming in my stomach, we took the ride. It was just a weekend trip and I knew I had a lot to say and not a lot of time to say it. I was risking a lot in doing this and I didn’t think about this going a different way than in my favor. Long story short, he ended up finding out how I felt through the way I was acting (because he knows me probably better than anyone on this planet) and the trip DEFINITELY ended on a bad note.
 I was not prepared to hear that he would never having feelings for me in a way other than a friendship and it hit me very hard. For a while, that act of me going out of my way and putting my heart completely on the line did exactly what I thought it would never do. The friendship, the person, I would confide in about absolutely everything was even further away from me than he already was. I was devastated.

Eventually, I had to accept it because his happiness and his friendship means more to me than any heartbreak I would endure. I learned a lot from this. I learned that some people are just meant to be your friends and he the kind that is the most solid one. Rebuilding our friendship wasn’t hard when I learned to accept this, although the physical distance between us isn’t ideal. He is still my heart and loving him is still one of the greatest feelings because I know he’s real.

To you:
There is nothing in this world that I wouldn’t do to you and it is the biggest blessing that you are still in my life. You are my best friend before anything else. Thank you for always showing me the light in the hardest situations and lifting me up when I fall, because I know that sometimes I fall HARD.

“You see the best of me, and you’re making me believe that I’m somebody special. That I don’t have to settle – not for nobody… You got me thinking maybe, I got potential to be somebody special.” – Somebody Special by Nina Nesbitt

Comments

  1. I love the bond between you two. That connection will carry you through many journeys and chapters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning & Growing With You

  I’ve tried to write this a million times because trying to decide how I want to express my feelings is really difficult on this one…   (This is not about an ex, btw)   I think I’m going to write this one mostly in letter format, so here we go.   To You,   I’m finding it more difficult than I thought to adjust to a love that is not abusive and draining. I have found it hard to accept a love that is not one-sided. Now, I know what a lot of people would say. “All of those things are not love…” But when you have only know that to be your idea of love in relationships that becomes the love that you believe in and that you know.    It’s so crazy that just a few short months ago, I finally believed that I was ready for the type of relationship and friendship that I deserved and then there you were, right there in my Bumble feed! Every day you are teaching me more and more about things that I never thought would be acceptable. You are teaching me that affection isn’t “overbearing.” You are t

My First Love

Over the past five years, I have experienced more confusion and turmoil than my 10-year-old self ever thought was possible for my future. When you’re ten, you imagine things for yourself that seem to be impossible. You have the entire world at your feet and time feels like it will never run out. I remember for the longest time I was certain that I would have my own Disney Channel show, if not, movie. I also thought that I would be a doctor, join the Peace Corps, and become a professional soccer player. These are some pretty outlandish careers for me to obtain, but I had huge dreams for myself. Next to those huge dreams, I had an overwhelming among of love and support that surrounded me. But this love and support came with conditions.              Being young and able to be exposed to all different kinds of activities was fun, until my father realized that I inherited an insane amount of athleticism and was playing at a level well above my age group. He started to meet people and m

My First Boyfriend

Boy, oh boy…. This one is an interesting one to even think about because it's been so long. Let’s talk about my first boyfriend. To make a long story, short about how we met and fell in looOOooOve… this is all you need to know. I met this boy whilst in my freshman biology class in high school. He was that funny kid that made fun of/flirted/terrorized our teacher. It was enough to make me roll my eyes and become smitten with him all at the same time. We started to hang out before I would have to go to basketball practice and sometimes I would even be late to practice because I wanted to squeeze in a few extra minutes with him. After a couple of times of hanging out, we had our first kiss. Let me tell you….this was THE most disgusting encounter of my life. If you know anything about where I went to high school, we had a set of stairs that we would call “the big stairs.” Sooo a top the big stairs, we were just standing there, and the vibes were all right, like there were