Skip to main content

The Ultimate Lesson About Loving Yourself


To my people:

I have been having some FAT A** epiphanies as of lately, and I feel like I just needed to preach a little bit. In one of my recent blogs, I talked briefly about how time works against us (Here’s the linkypoo to that blog if you haven’t read it yet: 
https://lessonsfrommyexes.blogspot.com/2019/04/lessons-from-boy-who-taught-me-to-love.html) and I wanted to touch on that a little more, as well as empowerment. I have been feeling really empowered and this Beyoncé documentary on Netflix that I am watching with my roomie/bestie (SHOUTOUT MAKENNA FAITH) got me feeling like THAT B!

We have days where we understand what we need, and we say it to ourselves in our heads. I have learned that it is important to write these things down because what we are capable of as humans and in our thoughts is some of the most important and profound work. I want to take a second to go back to a statement that I made in the blog about the boy who taught me to love myself. I said something along the lines of not being able to get with the whole “loving yourself” movement, and I stand by that 100%. Me being me, I need very specific goals and with how broad it is to “love yourself” just doesn’t work for me.

I want to just go on a little rant in order to get my point across. Today I was brought to tears by three people who hold my heart in the highest light because they are in positions where they feel mistreated, neglected, unworthy, or abused. To see people who have given nothing but the world and their hearts to me, have their heads hung so low is one of the most gut-wrenching emotions I have felt in the entirety of my existence. These are people who have taken the steps to create their own paths and loved having someone there by their side to confide in during all the ups and downs of their endeavors. These are people who have too much heart and too much trust.

I highlight this moment of disbelief to say, it is the easiest thing in the world to have an absurd amount of happiness because the person you are attracted to and in love with the is the person you confide in and share every secret and detail with. It is beyond easy, but sometimes there comes a point where that love or feeling of being in love becomes infatuation with being comfortable. Staying where you feel comfortable is human nature, but if I have learned anything in the past month it is that being uncomfortable with all the crazy BS life throws at me is what now makes me comfortable. Throughout this experience of growing up and coming to my own, I have realized and recognized my worth and that worth cannot be measured within another person, especially when that future with someone is not promised.

I say this mostly to say that you could feel an insane amount of happiness and worthiness in the arms of a lover. That is a given and that is okay, but when it becomes unhealthy, when you have to second guess yourself or your partner, or watch what you do and say – that is not ok. This is not the only person in the world who will give you that feeling of worthiness or accepts your worthiness with every fiber of their being. To people who know your heart and know your purity, they KNOW your worth. They take your worth seriously. So, if you are going through a break up or rough patch with the person you love and you know deep down in your toes that they aren’t meant for you, it is okay to take your own path and walk away. That doesn’t mean you aren’t worth of that person or that you aren’t worthy of anything. To someone, you are everything.

This is why I have introduced the “I am worthy” movement to myself instead of just saying “oh yeah, I’m working on loving myself.” Anyone who comes into your life has to earn your trust, right? You owe to yourself at all times, but especially when you’re on the bounce back, to re-earn your own trust. Earn back the respect of yourself that you may have lost in the consumption of that relationship. Putting that effort, time, money, trust, and respect into someone else with your fingers crossed that it will be reciprocated IS a problem. No on will be able to give you what you can give yourself. Trust doesn’t come easy and, sometimes, it breaks. You owe it to yourself to rebuild it because otherwise, what’s the point? Our purpose in life is not to find our person. It is to find yourself and when a person comes along that complements that love and admiration you have for yourself, that is just icing on the cake because then you have so much more experience and pure heart to give.

But this is not and should not be your end goal. You have one thing for sure in this life and that is you. Don’t let someone take that spot.


Beyoncé said two VERY profound things. One being, "Me, myself, and I, that's all I got in the end. That's what I found out and it ain't no need to cry, I took a vow that from now on I'm gon' my own best friend."

and the other being...

"Always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning & Growing With You

  I’ve tried to write this a million times because trying to decide how I want to express my feelings is really difficult on this one…   (This is not about an ex, btw)   I think I’m going to write this one mostly in letter format, so here we go.   To You,   I’m finding it more difficult than I thought to adjust to a love that is not abusive and draining. I have found it hard to accept a love that is not one-sided. Now, I know what a lot of people would say. “All of those things are not love…” But when you have only know that to be your idea of love in relationships that becomes the love that you believe in and that you know.    It’s so crazy that just a few short months ago, I finally believed that I was ready for the type of relationship and friendship that I deserved and then there you were, right there in my Bumble feed! Every day you are teaching me more and more about things that I never thought would be acceptable. You are teaching me that affection isn’t “overbearing.” You are t

Lessons From the Boy Who Changed My World

I am feeling a lot of love in my heart tonight and I feel like this is the best time to talk about the relationship that motivated me and taught me the best things about life and got me to step out of my comfort zone in the best way possible. I wish I could disclose his name because the amount of gratitude that I have in my heart for him is unmatched because of the way he treated me and the things he taught me. I want to start by reminiscing about the early times of our relationship. We were quite an odd couple in the eyes of basically everyone, as we ran in two completely different circles and we honestly probably wouldn’t have met each other if it wasn’t for the fact that I was hiding from a creepy guy at the fair! I don’t know what it was about him that made my heart smile and made me appreciate every aspect of life all day, every day. He made me the best version of myself. It was sooooo out of my social norm to date someone like him. I was 16, so I was at an extremely stubb

To All My Past Entanglements...

I feel like I should just make this a damn surverymonkey instead of a blog because I have so many freaking questions. First of all, can someone just tell me what runs through the male species mind when they are entertaining females? Like I need the actual break down because what the fuck.   This is my thing… I’m completely in a place in my life where I am starting to fully take responsibility for my character flaws and understand where I fall short. With that being said, I am well aware that I do not need to get myself into any sort of “entanglement” (as Jada Pinket Smith would say… *rolls eyes*) because this time of learning and coming to terms with myself is very vulnerable, AND MEN PREY ON THE VULNERABLE… at least the ones I seem to attract. BUT Let’s talk about entanglements anyway because I really need to know your thoughts. I think it is so interesting that this term is a literal buzzword right now because it seems like everyone is in at least one entanglement. I don’t want to di